Place of Service is used in Insurance Billing and is transmitted to the CMS 1500 Claim Form in box 24b. Place of Service is different than an Appointments Location and one Place of Service may be linked to multiple locations.
Appointment Location is the address for internal use and Client communication. If your Organization has multiple Locations (i.e. an Uptown Office vs Downtown Office, etc.), the Location will be listed in Appointment so the Provider and the Client know where they are meeting. There are two types of Locations:
- Organization Locations are offices and places where ALL clients may have appointments. These locations appear in the Location dropdown list on any appointment.
- Client Locations are places treatment is conducted for a specific client. These locations ONLY appear in appointments created for that client.
Place of Service
A Place of Service is the code used for Insurance Billing and can be selected when creating Locations, Invoices, or Progress Note. A Default place of service can be set for the entire organization.
The same Place of Service may be used for multiple Locations for insurance billing purposes. For example:
- Your 'Downtown Location' may have an Office (11) Place of Service Code.
- Your 'Uptown Location' may have a Community Mental Health Center (53) Place of Service Code.
- OR, your 'Downtown' and 'Uptown' Locations may have the same Office (11) Place of Service Code.
Place of Service and Telehealth
For Insurance Billing, Telehealth Sessions (when subscribed) also have Place of Service codes:
- Telehealth (02)
- Telehealth Provided in Client's Home (10)
Telehealth (02) place of service can be set as the default for all Telehealth sessions in Organization Profile.
When submitting claims to insurance, Organization Name and/or Facility National Provider Identifier (NPI) numbers, tax ID numbers are automatically added to claims (CMS-1500) from information entered on the Organization Profile page.
For larger organizations that have multiple corporate locations with their own NPI, and tax ID numbers, the Location Groups feature enables you to create locations with different organization names, addresses, NPI numbers and tax ID numbers. When Location Groups are selected on an invoice this information is entered into the CMS-1500 form when submitting claims.