Real Time Benefits provides coverage information and alternative drug options to the prescriber before a prescription is transmitted to the pharmacy. This information is based on the patient’s health plan, pharmacy, and selected drug. Real Time Benefits are automatically checked during the prescribing workflow.
- Enter prescription information, then click the Prescribe button or select Queue Rx from the drop-down. If any data is returned by the Pharmacy Benefit Manager (PBM), the Real Time Benefits page opens.
NOTE: If the information on the patient's health plan is incomplete, it is likely no results will be returned.
- Review the selected medication and alternatives that may be less expensive. Real Time Benefits returns the following information:
- Pharmacy Type (Retail, Mail Order, Specialty or Long Term Care)
- Estimated Price (May be a specific amount or a range)
- Dispense Quantity (May include days supply)
- Pharmacy Name
- Coverage Level (Varies by PBM, will include Prior Authorization Required link if appropriate)
- General Messages (Plan Restrictions, Prescribing Suggestions)
- Select the Radio Button next to the medication you want to prescribe.
NOTE: The radio button defaults to select your original prescription. Selecting a different option will update the drug, pharmacy and dispense information.
- Click Prescribe to proceed to the Transmit Rx page, or select Queue Rx from the drop-down to move the medication to the Pending Rx list.
- On the Transmit Rx page, click the Transmit button to send the selected medication to the pharmacy.